What Is The Paleo Diet?
The paleo diet is a return to the way our ancestors ate. To cut a long story short, we evolved to eat more natural food than we do now. As food has become easier and easier to get, we’ve thrown a bunch of things into it to preserve it. Sugars, salts, and carbs make up the majority of our diets and now the majority of Americans are overweight.
The paleo diet assumes that our paleo ancestors knew something about eating and that our bodies work best when they’re consuming the foods that we evolved to consume.
Q: Why is the paleo diet popular?
No one knows exactly why the paleo diet is so popular but, in our experience, it comes down to two things:
1) It’s simple. We can explain the paleo diet in fewer than 140 characters (that means we can tweet about it!). This makes it stupid simple to follow. On the paleo diet, you focus on the quality of the foods you eat, not the quantity. This means no calorie counting, no scales, and more focus on good food.
2) It works. It’s rare not to end up with your own success story when you eat paleo. Overall, the diet’s popularity comes from people realizing that today’s “common sense” has caused an obesity epidemic and that when we forget about theory and just eat the things that, deep down, we know we should be eating, our bodies both look and feel better.
Q: What foods can I eat on the paleo diet?
To generalize, you can eat meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. If it moved or you can eat it raw, it’s probably good. See our Paleo Diet Food List for a full list of paleo foods, or download the Paleo.io app to always have the answers to your “is it paleo?” questions in your back pocket.
Q: Where can I find paleo diet recipes, so I don’t get bored eating the same food?
Q: I have more questions about the paleo diet. Where can I find answers?
Download Your FREE Paleo Starter Kit Today!
- 4-Week Paleo Diet Meal Plan
- Comprehensive Paleo Diet Shopping List
- 5 of Our Favorite Paleo Diet Recipes