Looking for a quick and easy meal? Paleo chili is a snap. Today we’ve got a special twist on a paleo classic. Check out this chocolate paleo chili recipe & let us know what you think!
Chocolate Paleo Chili
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 Onions (medium, diced (about 2 cups))
- tsp garlic (the recipe calls for 4 but I used 4 tablespoons! Love garlic!)
- 2 lbs Ground beef
- 1 tsp Oregano leaves (dried)
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- tbsp Cumin (the recipe calls for 2ground cumin but I hate the stuff and only used about 1/2 tsp)
- 1.5 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp Ground allspice
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 6 oz Tomato paste
- 14.5 oz Fire-roasted (chopped tomatoes)
- 14.5 oz Beef broth
- 1 cup Water
Add coconut oil to the pan. Stir in onion and garlic. Heat until onion becomes transparent.
Add crumbled beef to the pan and begin to brown. If using high fat ground beef you may want to strain the fat off the top before moving on to the next step. Although there is nothing wrong with fat, I find that less fat floating on top improves the presentation of the dish.
Add and mix dry seasonings in a ramekin with a fork. Make sure that they are well combined. The dried oregano can be crushed between your palms to help release its flavor.
Add seasonings to beef mixture and combine well.
Add tomato paste to beef mixture and combine well.
Add the tomatoes with their juice, beef broth, and water to the mixture. Combine well. Bring to a boil and let it simmer gently for 2 hours — stirring frequently. The original recipe says that you shouldn’t skimp on the simmer although I simmered mine for 1 hour and received tasty results. Point is, you can play around with it.
Modified and inspired by this recipe here: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/
Download Your FREE Paleo Starter Kit Today!
- 3-Day Paleo Diet Meal Plan
- Comprehensive Paleo Diet Shopping List
- 5 of Our Favorite Paleo Diet Recipes