For New England Patriots fans, Tom Brady needs no introduction. Chance are, even if you’re not a Pats fan, the name Tom Brady rings a bell. Brady is a football quarterback with a lengthy list of accomplishments to his name. If you’ve watched any Super Bowl within the last decade, you’ve probably seen him lead his team to victory.
During the 2018/2019 season, Brady scored 29 touchdowns and achieved a total quarterback rating (RTG) of 97.7. Those stats are impressive. If you’re curious to know what this athlete eats to stay fit, read on to find out more.
Table of Contents
What Diet Does Tom Brady Follow?
As you may expect with a professional athlete, Brady’s diet is strict. He and his wife model Gisele Bündchen are rigorous about eating clean and green.
Details of Brady’s diet were revealed through an interview the Boston Globe conducted with his personal chef, Allen Campbell.
Most of the Brady family’s diet is made of up veggies. “Around 80 percent of what they eat is vegetables,” Campbell said. “The other 20 percent is lean meats.” Everything that Brady eats is also totally organic. “If it’s not organic, I don’t use it.”
If you think this sounds simple, wait for the next part. Brady doesn’t partake in any of the popular beverages and foods we mere mortals adore. No white sugar or flour, dairy, fungi, or caffeine whatsoever.
Brady’s diet is more or less in line with the principles of the Paleo diet. This caveman-esque diet is all about eating the same way as our ancestors did from the Paleolithic period millions of years ago.
The rules are pretty simple—you can eat mostly veggies, lean meats, plus fruits and healthy fats in moderation. If it didn’t exist during the Paleolithic era, you can’t eat it. Despite its simplistic nature, farming and animal husbandry weren’t around then—which does limit many foods we take for granted in today’s modern world.
Brady, however, does eat whole grains—chef Campbell listed “brown rice, quinoa, millet, [and] beans” as on the menu.
In fact, the athlete goes beyond the Paleo diet’s restrictions.
He avoids certain types of vegetables—namely, nightshades. These include tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. Nightshades are commonly eliminated on the AIP diet. Brady also avoids fruit, although he does enjoy the occasional banana smoothie. “Otherwise, he prefers not to eat fruits,” Campbell stated.
The Benefits of Tom Brady’s Diet
Eating a wide range of vegetables has many proven advantages for health. Aside from maintaining a lower weight than non-vegans, other benefits include reducing the chances of cancer, diabetes, and other diseases.
We’re all aware that processed food is bad for us. What about sugar, grains, and other “modern” foodstuffs? Well, there’s a reason the Paleo diet has become popular in recent years. Eating Paleo can lower the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
What Does Tom Brady Have to Say?
Brady endorses the TB12 method toward eating and exercise. TB12 boils down to 12 exercise and diet principles to attain optimal health.
The official TB12 website sells a range of equipment and supplements, some of which Brady promotes.
He’s written a book in which he credits his athletic success to this method. Brady has said, “It isn’t just a training program—I see it as a holistic lifestyle.”
Do you want to eat like Tom Brady? You can certainly buy his products – but we’d advocate instead for educating yourself and keeping it simple. We’ve created a number of *free* diet guides to help you with that.
Download Your FREE Paleo Starter Kit Today!
- 3-Day Paleo Diet Meal Plan
- Comprehensive Paleo Diet Shopping List
- 5 of Our Favorite Paleo Diet Recipes