The Paleo Diet For Athletes
The Paleo Diet For Athletes is the follow-up to Loren Cordain’s massively popular book, The Paleo Diet. In this book, he joins up with Joe Friel to discuss how to adapt the paleo diet for athletes, who have a need for more carbohydrates than the majority of the population.
The approach outlined in this book is largely the same as the approach outlined in the original paleo diet book but it allows for diet modifications to be made, especially on the carbohydrate side of things. Many complex carbohydrates are permitted in this framework, including sweet potatoes, bananas, and squashes.
About The Paleo Diet For Athletes
When The Paleo Diet was published, advocating a return to the diet of our ancestors (lots of protein and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables), it received brilliant reviews from the medical and nutritional communities. Jennie Brand-Miller, coauthor of the bestselling book, Glucose Revolution, called paleo “without a doubt the most nutritious diet on the planet.” Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades, authors of Protein Power, said, “We can’t recommend The Paleo Diet highly enough.”
Now Dr. Cordain joins with USA triathlon and cycling elite coach Joe Friel to adapt the paleo diet to the needs of athletes. The authors show:
- Why the typical athletic diet (top-heavy with grains, starches, and refined sugars) is detrimental to recovery, performance, and health
- How glycemic load and acid-base balance impact performance
- Why consumption of starches and simple sugars is only beneficial in the immediate post-exercise period
About The Authors
Loren Cordain, PH.D., a world-renowned scientist and the leading expert on the paleolithic diet, is a professor in the health and exercise science department at Colorado State University. He is a member of the American Institute of Nutrition and the American Heart Association, among other organizations. His work has been featured on Dateline and the Wall Street Journal. He lives in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Joe Friel, M.S., is the founder and president of Ultrafit Associates, LLC, an association of elite endurance coaches. His books include The Cyclist’s Training Bible and The Triathlete’s Training Bible. He lives in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Where To Buy Paleo Diet For Athletes
Paleo Diet For Athletes Review
It’s not just theory either – over the past few years, more and more elite athletes have given up the typical dietary advice and gone paleo too. Here are a few of a our favorite paleo athletes who have done just this.
- Carol Nichols – USA field hockey
- Kobe Bryant (not officially) (but this looks pretty paleo to us)
- Kobe’s teammate, Steve Nash follows a similar protocol
- Greg Parnham – Elite Mountain Biker
- Josh Welburn – NFL
- Amanda Beard – Olympic swimmer
- Kelly Slater – professional surfer
- Professional snowboarder Iris Lazz
- Mixed Martial Arts Fighter – Abe Wagner
- The Garmin Cycling Team (gluten-free only for now)
- Novak Djovak – tennis pro
Download Your FREE Paleo Starter Kit Today!
- 3-Day Paleo Diet Meal Plan
- Comprehensive Paleo Diet Shopping List
- 5 of Our Favorite Paleo Diet Recipes